Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Strip Mall Wastelands.

As I was riding along with Katie, Red Lobster-bound; a very simple, ordinary thing caught my eye. It was an American flag.

I am pretty flexible. I really am one of the most adaptable people I know. But what usually gets me are the small things. That one massive yet half-hearted patriotic symbol was speaking to me, telling me "be seeing you!" And then I looked around at the mini high rises flanking the freeway, and silently echoed, "be seeing you."

I spend so much time fretting over the numerous and infinitely complicated obstacles that stand in the way of David and my eventual "normal" life in Spain that I often fail to recall that in little time, I will be in Spain. In a life, that's just a blink of the eye away, I will be with the man I love, and all will be right. At the same time though, I'll be an American expatriate, making his way in a place he's trying to learn to call home. How would that make you feel? Nervous? Excited? Anxious? Nauseous? Speaking from experience, it all depends on your mood and the time of the day.

Anyway, I caught up with my little project, and have cast off 20 more things that have only been holding me back from a clutterless, carefree life.

This lotion is so old. And it's seldom appropriate for a man to shimmer.

This came with some face wash and lotion. It was a good travel bag, but so long!

A bikini trimmer that broke last summer. I don't know if I thought it would magically start working again, or what. Maybe I hung onto it just because it's pretty... and purple.

Haven't had a recently pierced ear in while, and I don't think I will anytime soon.

I can't even figure out how long it's been since I was blond. And as much as I'd like to be, I doubt I will be anytime soon.

A random assortment of travel toiletries. How 'bout not.

Eyelash glue from Threads '06, I believe. It's probably not any good anymore, and I'm not Miss Coco Peru. (If only!)

David's hair gel, which isn't suitable for my current do. The Hannah Montana glitter gel was an impulse by at a thrift store when we were shopping for the Zombie Walk. I used it for Halloween when I was a ballerĂ­n!

These whitening strips are not only ancient, but aren't even the good kind. Basically, they are a pain in the ass, and I was kidding myself keeping them for as long as I did.

David has taught me that cheap razor blades have no use whatsoever. Proud, honey?

David will also be happy to see this get dumped. I love it, though!

This is the shirt I wore today. The thread on one of the sleeves is coming undone and it's not worth it.

Anything with holes that I've sewn up has to go.

I bought this shirt in Australia for a cash-in-hand gig I took waiting tables at a golf club. It shrank, and now the sleeves are way too short.

Nice shirt. Big hole.

Sweet shirt. Too big.

David, I'm sorry to throw this out! But Frankie J hates it. And I don't want to put him through that again.

Eh. I'm diggin' here, I know.

As amazing as these multilingual "i'm loved" buttons are, they haven't proven especially useful over the past 10 years.

My senior class keychain. *Tear*

I'm going to have to put this little project on hold until I get back from my extended weekend. I'm seeing Wicked tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment